Thursday, July 9, 2009

Stupid Car Stuff!

Last week, I realized that I am WAY overdue for an oil change (or, I guess my car is). So, I decided to stop by on my way home tonight. Jiffy Lube is pretty close to work and so I pulled in there and got out of the car ready to go into their nice, air conditioned waiting room. No such luck! The worker escorted me to a tent they set up in the parking lot, explaining as we walked that they are remodeling. No sweat! It's only 30 minutes, right? So, I pull out my book and proceed to wait.

A few minutes later, they call me over to the computer so they can explain to me all the things that I should replace. This time, it was the power steering belt. I believed them because someone else mentioned at least a year ago that it would need to be replaced soon. (My rule of thumb is to pass the first time, but if they mention it a second time I will replace whatever it is.) So, I gave the go ahead and resumed reading. Just to make sure I understand how important it is that it be replaced, one of the friendly workers brought the old belt out to show me. It was definitely cracked and looked like it would snap any second! Lucky me, I came to replace it when I did.

I kept reading and, slowly, the waiting tent emptied out. Then, after a little more time, the workers came and carried all the other chairs and the carpet into the building. By this time, it had been an hour and I could see 3 workers crowded around my car. I admit I was getting a little impatient. Probably because it was so dang HOT! (Honestly, who remodels in July and makes their customers sit outside in a tent!)

Here's the kicker.... More than an hour after I got there, another worker finally comes out to tell me that they don't have the right belt!!! Worse, they tried to fit other belts on looking for anything that would fit, but nothing would and all the car stores were closed. So, they put the old one back on! That's right! The falling apart one that they made sure to show me! Then, I stood there watching them try to figure out how to put it back together. I hope they got it right.

I have to say that they do have good customer service, even if they don't have the parts they need. They asked if I had a discount and I replied, "No, but do I get one for sitting in the heat for so long?" They gave me $10 off.

I also said a quick prayer before I left that the belt wouldn't snap on the way home. Admittedly, I was still a little nervous every time I turned a corner. I may be car stupid, but I am pretty sure that the power steering belt is important to not wrecking! Looks like I'll be sitting at another car place tomorrow. But this time, I'm going to one with air conditioning!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

We avoid Jiffy Lube at all cost. Go to Greese Monkey--much better. I have a long boring reason why we don't go to Jiffy Lube anymore, but I'll spare you the details.

Genevieve said...

Good luck getting your car fixed. I always hate car check up time!

Lynette said...

I ended up taking it to Sears and they changed both belts because they were cracked and needed to be replaced. My car is great now. :) I think from now on, I'll just go there the first time.

Morty said...

lol! did you get it fixed?