Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Food Storage...The Beginnings

I have learned tonight that it takes a TON of space for a years supply of food! I cleared out most of a closet and filled it with stuff that I eat and a little bit that I won't, unless desperate, like powdered milk. According to the sheet of what I need for one year, I have 40 lbs of the 300 lbs of grains I am supposed to have. Honestly, where am I going to put 300 lbs of grains? I guess I'll have to eat a lot of rice...it takes less space. I need to go through and plan a month of recipes so that I can make sure I have the 3 months of food I actually eat and then work on the rest of my food storage. Luckily, I still have room under my bed. :)

Before: (please don't judge me by this...I was in school)

After:
By the way, spring cleaning is a GREAT workout! I was just as sore after my cleaning on Saturday as I was after spending an hour at the gym with a trainer!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow! That looks great! good job. Ha ha on where to store the grain--that's funny.

John said...

Looks great to me. Be glad you are only finding space for 300 lbs. I've apparently got to find a home for 1200 lbs. I'm actually going to can some rice tonight with the ward. Good luck!

Morty said...

That looks amazing! :)

Kristi said...

They have a bucket they sell at Costco- it gives you several months worth of food and is very small. Check it out- big space saver.