Thursday, January 12, 2012

Kindle

I have never really liked the idea of Kindles or Nooks or anything else electronic.  I love the experience of reading a book.  Of smelling the pages, seeing how far you have read and knowing that it better wind up because you are almost at the end.  I love cuddling with books under warm covers late Saturday morning, even though my stomach is grumbling.  So, it may come as a surprise that I actually bought myself a Kindle for Christmas, and I'm going as far as trying to talk my friend into one as well. 

It boils down to this...  I am out of room.  I have four book shelves in my house and no room left for any more books.  My Kindle supposedly holds 3000 books.  Think of all the glorious reading with no space taken.  :)  So far, I have downloaded 69 books and can you believe I have only paid $10 (and that was for only 4 of the books).  That alone has far made up for the $100 cost.  And, I actually enjoy reading on the Kindle Touch.  It is easy to "turn pages" and it tells me how far I've read.  I actually think I read faster on the Kindle. 

So, I guess you could say that I'm very happy with my purchase.  And, even though I still love paper books, I love my Kindle at least as well...or maybe even better? 

5 comments:

Kerstin said...

Did you look into all the different Kindles? My husband wants to get me one, but I don't know which is the best option and don't know where to even start looking!

You are on Goodreads? Oh, goodie!

Lynette said...

I went to Best Buy and tried them out (great tip I saw online). I actually bought mine from Best Buy because then I could try it out for a few weeks and return/exchange it if I didn't like it. It was so worth the $1.06 extra that I paid in tax.

I really hated the $79 one. You have to hit buttons on the side to turn pages and to move around in the menu, you have to hit a tiny little square toggle thing at the bottom. It was REALLY frustrating.

I didn't want the Kindle fire because I didn't want the backlighting and I don't plan to watch movies on it anyway. Plus, with that one you have to pay extra for internet access and I don't want to pay for that.

That left a choice between the Kindle Touch with 3G and the one with only wi-fi. I decided that most of the time I will be in a place with wi-fi and so I saved the $50 and got the one without 3G. If you don't have wireless at home, you would probably want to get the 3G version. (Also, the Kindle Touch 3G comes with free internet access because you can only download books.)

Hope that helps. I have been researching for months and am really happy with my Kindle Touch. :)

Deanna said...

Ahhhh! Lucky!

--Megan

Deanna said...

When I mentioned to her that I thougth she was anti kindle she said, "What...I changed my mind."

Lynette said...

So funny!!! She cracks me up! :)