Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Smell of Conference

I love General Conference.  I love hearing all the talks and counsel from the general authorities.  And, I love the yummy smells in my kitchen.  The past couple of conferences, I have been inspired to cook while I listen.  Today, I dried bananas.  (Don't worry, I have more for tomorrow.)  And, I also made a peach pie with the peaches I bought at the farmer's market the other day.  I'm really excited to try it.  Alas, it is still setting up.  Anyway, here is the before and after.  :)



For the pie, I used a recipe from All Recipes.  I probably would have added more corn starch and used less mashed peaches.  As you can see, mine doesn't look quite like the one online.  You can get the recipe here... 
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/fresh-peach-pie-i/Detail.aspx

For the crust, I used a family recipe.  It is so yummy and I highly recommend it.  Plus, you don't have to put it in the fridge over night like some.

Pie Crust

4 cups flour
1 3/4 cup shortening
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp vinegar

Add fruit filling.
Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.

I halved the recipe since it makes enough for four crusts.  Since it was an empty crust, I baked my crust at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.  Be sure to poke holes all over with a fork before you bake it.




Fruit dryers are so easy to use.  I love bananas the best.  Just be sure to dip the bananas in lemon juice and spray the trays with vegetable spray.  They take 6-12 hours.  Mine have been in for 8 so far, but I think they are going to take a little longer. 

No comments: