Saturday, September 1, 2012

I'm Back!

I know it's been forever since I've posted.  I was SO frustrated with my computer that I couldn't make myself spend any more time than I had to on it.  It got so bad that I would bring a book with me to read while I waited for things to open or post...no kidding!  After waiting FOREVER (it has seriously been a year that I've been waiting) I got a new Macbook Pro and I LOVE it!!!  I don't understand why people are so afraid of Apple computers.  It is amazing.

So, now that I can use the computer without wanting to toss it out the window, I can fill you in on what's been happening in my life.  :)  I spent a lot of time last winter with family.  We had two funerals, Dad's retirement party, the holidays, and a baby blessing.  Since it's a little late to post about last Christmas, I'll start with last spring...

My spring started off with the blessing of my CUTE little niece, Brooke.  I am posting a pic of her that was taken later this summer so you can see just how cute she is.  You can't help but love her!


While we were at Brooke's blessing, Leslie had fun showing off her chickens.  She has a fun little personality and I just love her.  :)


Also this spring, I did a lot of projects.  I planted flowers on my balcony again and would you believe they are still alive?  It's all thanks to the amazing watering can I bought.  I can water everything with one trip to the sink.  YAY!


See how beautiful the begonias are?  They were my favorite flowers.  Well, here is the story about them...  One night, a huge wind storm started banging on the windows and I had a thought that maybe I should bring them inside.  But, I decided that they were clear up in the corner and would be safe.  Not so.  I was sitting on the couch and I saw something red blow across the window.  When I went out to see what was going on, I found my beautiful begonia plant on the ground.  The wind had ripped off almost the whole plant!  I was so sad.  But, decided to keep watering the tiny stump that was left and can you believe it grew into a beautiful plant again.  And, it is just starting to bloom again.  I am a big fan of begonias.


I wrote a list of 20 things I wanted to do this summer and I was pretty good at getting things done during the spring.  I managed to get more than half of them done.  But, then I kind of stalled out and got distracted by other things that were not on my list.  Maybe I'll have to extend my deadline to the end of the year.  :)

The first project I did was to FINALLY finish my magnet board.  I had originally intended to hang it in my office, but then I decided to redo that room and the magnet board ended up in the hall.  I got the frame over a year ago in the discount section of Tai Pan.  I painted it white and then bought the sheet metal at Home Depot.  They were really nice and cut it for me too.  I love it and since it is hanging in a place I walk by all the time, I use it.


The reason I put the magnet board in the hall is because I "remodeled" my office.  I really wanted a comfy reading chair since I spend more hours reading books than most people.  :)  I went into a furniture store on impulse one day just to see what they had.  When the sales lady asked what I was looking for, I told her I would know it when I sat in it.  And, that is exactly what happened.  I found the most AMAZING chair.  I got a great deal on it and it is so soft and smells so good.  I have been sitting in it all summer and still love it, so it was a good purchase.  I also hung curtains in there.  My next plan is to put in matching book shelves.  I'm hitting up my dad to help me build some.  I already have an idea of what I want in my head.


The next project I took on was this little table.  I decided that I wanted a brighter color in my office because everything was brown.  So, I went with turquoise.  I remembered a project my sister did where she painted over laminate and so that is what I decided to do.  It wasn't that hard to do.  I just had to use a special primer that sticks to laminate.  And, in the end, my table went from this...


To this...


 And in the end, to this...  I love it!


After I got my chair, I realized that I needed to do another project.  When I was reading at night, there were shadows on the book and I decided that I needed a lamp.  Originally, I planned to hang one from the ceiling, but couldn't find what I wanted.  So, I went for plan B.  I found a lamp that was just taller than the chair so it didn't tower over everything else in the room.  It is the perfect height.  But, the shade that came with the lamp was UGLY!  So, I bought some fabric that matched the room and a lamp shade that was a good size for the base.  It was so easy to cover the shade.  I just cut the fabric a little wider than the shade and glued it on with hot glue.  It is holding up great and it turned out really cute!  I recommend trying it out if you can't find a lamp you love.  


I spent the 4th of July with Deanna's family this year.  I got to be there for Megan's b-day and see their new house.  And, we had lots of fun.  We went to the parade and watched the fireworks from their driveway.  We also went to Brave with Charlene and Wade.


During the summer, I have gone to several concerts and things.  I went to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir pioneer concert.  That was so great!!  I loved Catherine Jenkins on Dancing with the Stars and she came to sing with them, so I was so happy to get tickets.  My friend, Ginger, came with me and my parents drove down from Idaho and met us there.  We had lots of fun and checked out the new City Center mall while we were there.  

I also went to Wicked again.  I saw it when it was here three years ago.  I still love it!  If you get a chance, it is so worth going to see.  Also, I went with Ginger to the World Folkfest.  They bring dancers from all over the world and it was fun to see the dancing.  This weekend, we are going to see Starship.  I'm hoping they are still as good as they were in the 80's.  :)



In August, we had a family reunion.  We went to a girls camp near Yellowstone and it was fun to see my aunts, uncles, and cousins.  And, of course, my amazingly cute nieces and nephews.  We had a ton of fun!  On Friday night, we had a talent show and it was so much fun...there were some pretty creative acts.  Saturday, we went to Yellowstone and saw some sights.  I always love to spend time with family.  I love them all so much.





I spent a few extra days with my parents and it was fun to hang out with them.  I don't think I've snapped beans since I lived at home and I found that it wasn't quite as bad as I remembered.  Of course, there were a lot less of them.  One night, my dad called us out to see the sun set.  The sun was red because of all the smoke.  It was crazy!


All in all, I had a great summer!!  I'm sad to see it end.  But, I still have lots to look forward to this fall.  I'll try to update more often in the future.  :)


Postscript:  I am sad to report that the Starship concert was canceled because the lead guitarist had a heart attack last night and died after their concert.  We were pretty disappointed, but after the initial shock I started to feel really bad for his family.  I came home and drown my sorrows in Raspberry M&Ms.  Have you tried them?  If not, you should!  

1 comment:

Janet said...

Wow, Lynette, even if you didn't finish your list you still did a ton! I adore your lamp, I think I want to cover mine now!:)