Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Is Friday here yet?

What is it about short weeks that make them seem like they last FOREVER?  I'm not complaining about the fact that I got Monday off work.  It's just that I am SO ready for the weekend again! 

Here are some random thoughts...

On Flossing

I have been thinking a lot about flossing lately.  When I visited the dentist in December, my usual hygienist was out sick and so I met a new hygienist.  From her, I learned that the real reason we floss is not to get the food out.  According to her, that is just a perk.  The real reason is to disturb the acid that likes to make a home on our teeth, causing cavities.  That thought is disturbing to me.  I don't have a problem with food causing cavities, but acid is another thing all together.  Then, I read this...

The purpose of both brushing and flossing is to reduce the number of bacteria which inhabit our mouths. Normally, millions of these microscopic monsters call your mouth home, feeding on food particles left on our teeth.

Ungrateful guests, these bacteria produce acid as a result of their feasting and it is this acid which eats into tooth enamel creating cavities. If this wasn't bad enough, the bacteria also pour out volatile sulfur compounds creating embarrassing bad breath.

I picture in my mind little bugs living on my teeth feasting on food and leaving behind their acid waste and sulfur gas.  YUCK!  If that doesn't make you want to floss, I don't know what will.  As for me, I am flossing more now that ever before!

You can read more here.
 
On Quilting
 
January.  That word is just depressing.  Maybe it's because you have a whole year before the holidays come back.  Or, maybe it's because you set a bunch of goals that you will probably never accomplish.  As for me, I don't bother setting goals in January.  I know I won't accomplish them until I really want to, so why bother?  Instead, I find a project to get me through the dreary month. 
 
This year I am making a denim quilt.  I am so excited to start and have already picked out fabric.  Now, I am waiting for a 50% coupon for JoAnn's so I can get the denim.  I have decided to make a circle quilt for my guest bedroom.  Here are the fabric samples I have picked for the center.  I don't love them all, but they look good together.  I will probably keep my eyes open for other fabrics that I do love to replace the ones that are just okay. 
 

In addition to the quilt, my friend, Amie, has agreed to teach me how to make a rag rug.  Won't that look cute with the quilt?  I'm excited to get started!  :)

No comments: